To be an effective communicator we must master the core competence of listening. A willingness to listen during an interaction allows you to understand others, respond appropriately to what they say, or .
Prepare:As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read thewriting prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks:
- Complete the following listening survey and record your results:*Please note: though it asks if you want to sign up for their service, you are not required to do so.
- Think about how your your professional relationships.
- Make a list of some specific techniques from the Bevan and Sole (2014) you can use to improve your listening.
- .2: Listening.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect:Take time to reflect on why listening is so important in becoming better communicators. Consider how the listening techniques covered in the course text could improve your professional relationships.
Write:Based on your quiz results and what you learned in Section 7.2 of the text:
- What is your willingness to listen score? What feedback did you receive from the quiz? Why do you think this measure was an accurate or inaccurate representation of your willingness to listen?
- How do you think your willingness to listen score could impact your professional relationships?
- How can you improve your listening? Explain some in our text and how improvement in these areas could enhance your professional relationships. Consider what youve learned in class this week.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.