[u02a1] Unit 2 Assignment 1
Based on your readings:
- Briefly describe the trait, behavior, contingency, and transformational theories of leadership.
- Evaluate their applicability to the current field of public safety.
- Provide a well-developed example of how one of these theories applies to a leadership situation you have observed or experienced.
- Show how the theory enables you to analyze the nature of leadership in that situation.
As doctoral learners, synthesis and succinctness are paramount. Keep your response to no more than 600 words. Include references formatted following APA guidelines.
[u05a1] Unit 5 Assignment 1
For this assignment, write a paper no more than 900 words that addresses the following elements:
- Describe a leader and his or her followers in the organization.
- Based on your readings in the Zigarmi text, identify specific style behaviors that this leader exhibits.
- Based on the theories discussed in Unit 2 and this week’s readings, assess how this leader builds effective relationships with you and other followers.
The leader you write about should be someone in your life who you consider highly effective. This may be any of the following people:
- Your supervisor or manager.
- A peer to whom you ascribe informal leadership.
- A leader in a volunteer organization to which you belong.
- A coach.
- The chair of a committee on which you serve.
Submit your paper in the assignment area.
[u01a1] Unit 1 Assignment 1
Synthesizing “Ladder of Inference,” “Paradigms of Power,” and “After Hours” with your understanding of paradigms, write a short paper of no more than 600 words, evaluating how paradigms serve as both a lens and a filter in our view of the world.
Unit 4 Assignment 1
If you have not already transacted, please make the DiSC profile purchase from the Capella bookstore. You will not receive any shipment or direct access key from the bookstore. A list of purchasers is facilitated between the bookstore and the vendor during Unit 2.
[u06a1] Unit 6 Assignment 1
Maslow proposed that human motivation is based on a hierarchy of needs. The lower the need rests on the hierarchy, the more dominant that need is. As lower-level needs are fulfilled, .
Drawing upon the or academic texts you found in the research study for this unit, write a 600900 word paper comparing and contrasting Maslow’s theory with at least two other theories of motivation:
- What are the practical implications of these theories with regard to leadership in public safety organizations?
Develop a reality-based or imagined scenario in which you are responsible for developing the work commitment of a reluctant employee. How would you use one theory of motivation
If leadership and influence are nearly synonymous, it is vital to understand how leaders use power to influence others. As depicted in the illustration “Scale of Influence,” influence in itself is value free. However, the power that makes the influence possible has an ethical component. First, there is the issue of how people influence othersmethods involve decisions about what is or is not ethical. Then, there is the issue of why people influence othersthe motive. Examples would be Saddam Hussein and Mother Theresa. Both exerted influence. They were able to lead and influence people. The issues are the methods and the motive. Hussein’s power base was unethical in its coercive means and its goals as opposed to Mother Theresa’s ethical and benevolent use of power.
For this assignment, write a 600900 word paper evaluating how three leadership theories address the relationship of motive, methods, and manipulation in leadership. Questions you might explore include:
Unit 8 Assignment 1
Leading people and organizations through continuous change is an integral component of effective 21st-century public safety leadership. Considering the various leadership theories addressed thus far in the course, evaluate which ones have the best potential application for guiding transformational change in public safety agencies. Synthesizing what you feel are the strongest aspects of these theories, summarize the best practices for leadership in the public safety setting in a 9001200 word, double-spaced paper. Support your analysis with specific examples in public safety or related organizations.